This is a collection of facts I have run across that I have found interesting and often surprising. I usually am motivated to find out a bit more about them and hopefully can collect the findings here. I have divided these up into several categories.
- A CIA operation in 1982 fed technical misinformation to the KGB leading to a monumental explosion and fire on an oil pipeline (Line X).
- World War 3 was narrowly averted in September, 1983 when Stanislav Petrov, a Russian colonel, disregarded standing orders by labeling an attack warning as a false alarm, avoiding an accidental retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States.
- The most comprehensive study to date indicates that smoking marijuana does not cause cancer.
- At least one medical study shows that acupuncture beats conventional therapy in reducing back pain, but the exact location of the needles does not seem to matter.
- Female hysteria used to be treated as a commonly occurring disease (up to 25% of all females) caused by sexual deprivation or dissatisfaction.
- For several hundred years (~ 800AD - 1500AD) the Islamic world was at the forefront of medical knowledge and technology (Islamic technology).